Monday, August 11, 2008

Warhammer Pre-Order and Direct2Drive

I put in my pre-order for Warhammer Online with Direct2Drive yesterday.

Direct2Drive is part of IGN like Gamespy and FilePlanet. When you buy a game from D2D, you don’t get a physical box, game manual or DVDs. Instead, you get a keycode sent to you through the mail and the ability to download the game off the website. The obvious downside is that you don’t install from discs or get any pretty literature. Ya – I realize that some people like to read the manual and like to keep the box. In my case, it just ends up taking space somewhere as I don’t really use it or need it.

For me, the advantages of D2D outweigh the box. First, no store. No store means I don’t have to go somewhere and wait in a line. I might have to wait on a download, but I can do other things during that time in my home at my leisure. Secondly, I have no fear of my pre-order not being in stock, lost in shipping, or sold to someone else by mistake. Third, and most importantly, I don’t have to worry about losing the discs or keycode. At any point, I can simply re-download it if needed.

Wondering if you can run Warhammer Online?
This nifty tool called Can You Run It? will test your computer against the system requirements provided by Mythic. This is particularly handy if you didn’t know if your 1.7 GHz Dual Core Duo is better or worse than the 2.5 GHz Pentium minimum requirement (FYI, it’s better). It also has a nice graphical representation that hints at how much better your setup is over the minimum requirements.

2 comments:

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

I originally thought all of the same things about D2D, until something went wrong and I had to deal with their HORRIBLE customer support system.

Your only way to contact an agent is by submitting a ticket. The fastest I have ever seen them respond to a ticket is 3 days, and they respond with a cookie cutter answer that solves nothing. (Similar to tech support asking if your computer is plugged in)

You then have to issue a response and wait another 3 days. 2 weeks go by and you have already fixed it yourself or forgotten that you purchased the game to begin with.

Some of the games download very fast, but I have ran into instances where when I attempted to download a game it was downloading so slow that I looked around for other places I could download it.

D2D was projected to take 31 hours and 13 minutes to complete the download. The competitor had it downloaded to my computer in under 2 and a half hours.

The only service D2D provided me was emailing me my CD key so that I could register the game I downloaded from another vendor.

I could have submitted a support ticket, but seeing as how the download would take just over a day to complete, my issue would be resolved before they even replied. Whats the point?

Being on "hold" for 72 hours when trying to get customer service would not be acceptable over the phone. Why do these companies think it is over the internet?